Sunday, April 14, 2013

To keep, or not to keep?

I just encountered a bit of a dilemma.  Just a couple of days ago, I unpacked one of the last boxes from the most recent move.  I had been stubbing my toe on it in my closet for too long.  Among the contents of the box were several notebooks of various size and color.  These are my diaries or journals from when I was younger.  I think I started journaling when I was 10 or so, and it lasted until later high school.  My dilemma is what do I do with these notebooks now?  They are filled with all sorts of personal thoughts and feelings and random happenings in my not too event filled adolescence.  I don't know that I would like anyone else reading them, at least not while I'm still alive.

My mother has a journal from her mother around age 16.  I know this is very special to my mom, because her mother died when she was a baby.  It provided a look into her life that my mother never would have had otherwise.

So, to keep, or not to keep?  That is the proverbial question.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You HAVE to keep them! You may have grandchildren one day who want to know what your childhood was like!

Anonymous said...

Keep them!

diannanicole said...

...on the other side of this, i re-read all of mine and decided i didn't want anyone to see them, so i burned all of the pages.