Monday, April 13, 2009

Traditional


What is wrong with being a "traditional" woman? There is so much pressure on young women to be independent from men, have a high profile career, and, IF you marry, you must not fulfill the traditional role of mother/housewife. Why is being a woman, or housewife, or mother taboo in our society? Today's "modern woman" is hardly a woman at all. She is expected to fulfill the role of both man and woman. She must be highly competitive, never show emotion, and do everything a man can do, only faster and better. On the other hand, if she doesn't want to be alone for the rest of her life, she must also be incredibly pretty, soft, and feminine, lest she be perceived as anything less than straight. How can one individual fulfill all of these expectations under so much stress? I think it is impossible to accomplish, and be happy and satisfied with life. I'm not saying every woman should be June Cleaver. That isn't plausible either. I'm addressing the issue of the negativity towards a woman who wants to be a wife and mother. No career, no "job." Women with this desire are frowned upon and thought of as less of a woman, a whipped puppy, if you will. Some of these women are seen as gold-diggers or lazy. A woman who runs a household and raises children has one of the hardest jobs around. It is very rewarding work, although there is not a paycheck every month. Payment is in the form of having a fulfilling and satisfying life, and raising children to be kind and smart adults. If a woman wants to have a high profile career, go for it. If she wants to have a family also, that's great. Just don't look down on a woman who wants a family as her career.
~*~
I've come up with several reasons that I, personally, want to be a stay-at-home mom:
1. I'll get to see every stage of development in my children
2. I'll be available for every important event for my children.
3. I'll be able to provide for and care for my husband and children.
4. I'll have time to care for my house and take pride in it.
5. I'll be available to care for my husband's and my parents later in life, in our home.
6. I'll be able to homeschool my children.
7. I'll have time to devote to just my husband.
8. I'll strive to be the best wife, mother, and woman I can be.
~*~

3 comments:

katsminis said...

Applause, applause, applause! I agree with most everything you said, because this has been my career. I think women should be able to choose what they do in life without being placed into a "category", no matter whether she works in an office or a home.

Mrs.H said...

There is so much to be said for being home with your children. Too many scary things (physical, emotional, spiritual) are waiting for children out in the world today. (Well, I guess they've always been there, just that Mom's were there to hold them back once upon a time.)

Rachael Ross Newman said...

YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!!! You know you and I are two hearts of one very strong mind on this subject! I love you!