Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Hidden Person of the Heart

~*~
This summer, I'm attending a Bible study on Wednesday nights. We're studying the book of 1st Peter. We've only met once, and unfortunately I'm going to miss the next two weeks, so I decided to keep up the reading and write my own notes about what I've read. So tonight I had a quite moment by myself and decided to read the second half of chapter two and chapter three.

In chapter three, the first thing that Peter talks about is how wives should act. I believe that this applies to single women as well, because we are future wives, hopefully. So the first part talks about being submissive to your husband. I thought "yeah, yeah, I've heard this part before. Got it." But Peter's reason for being submissive is a little different than the reasons that Paul uses. Peter says that wives (who are believers) should be submissive to their husbands (who are unbelievers) so that they may be a witness by their actions. I think this situation applies to a woman who becomes a Christian after she is married, and her husband does not. I believe that God blesses this situation, if the wife is submissive and lives as a Christian witness to her husband.

But the part that struck me tonight was in verses three and four: "Your adornment must not be merely external-braiding the hair, and wearing gold jewelry, or putting on dresses; but let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God. (NASB)" Wow. That phrase "the hidden person of the heart" stopped me cold. For so long, I have complained that no one knows the real me. So I have been trying things to get noticed, and to shock people into spending time getting to know who I am. It hasn't worked and has only been a source of frustration for me and those around me. I have always been the quiet girl. Lately I have wanted to change that, but according to these verses, having "gentle and quiet spirit" is precious to God. So all along, God has seen the real me. He sees the hidden person of my heart, and I am precious to Him. The world does not value a meek and gentle spirit, but God does. That's all I need to know.

Who is the Hidden Person of your Heart?
~*~

1 comment:

Rachael Ross Newman said...

Hey! Love this post. Please check out Her Southern Charm google blog. She posted some great things today about having a "gentle and quiet spirit." You will benefit from reading it.