Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Summertime in Mississippi

I wrote this a few weeks ago, and until now, had forgotten about it. I delayed posting it because I wanted to put pictures up with it. So I will post it now.

After being in Texas all summer, I got to spend a few days back in Mississippi to take care of some things at our house. I had forgotten how much I love summertime here. Everything is green and growing and flowers are blooming. I absolutely love the sights and smells of summertime in Mississippi. Fresh cut grass never smelled better nor looked so good. My very favorite part of the day to enjoy the summer is right before twilight. When everything has slowed down and cooled down too. Tonight was absolutely perfect outside. It wasn't hot and the humidity wasn't bad either. The light outside during that part of the day makes everything look like a picture out of a storybook. The sky is all shades of blue, orange, and pink. If I could freeze time for a while, it would be to enjoy those moments longer. Or better yet, I get to enjoy them everyday! I love to feel the grass under my bare feet. It's soft and cool. I love to smell the honeysuckle that grows in my yard. My mother doesn't like it because it's a vine that takes over whatever it grows on, but it's my favorite flower. It smells amazing, has a unique white bloom, and if you do it just right, you can taste the sweet nectar that hides inside. To me, it epitomizes summertime in the country. Just seeing or smelling it makes me feel at home.



1 comment:

M.E. said...

I love the pictures and summertime in Mississippi sounds a lot better than summer here in Texas.