Thursday, August 19, 2010

Beginning and Ending

The end of the summer is always a bittersweet thing for me.  I know I always say that, but it's true.  Having two different lives in two different states is really hard for me.  I hope soon it won't have to be that way.


I wrapped up the summer by spending the weekend at the lake.  I drove up on Friday evening and left Sunday afternoon.  The weekend was great.  I spent some time with friends I hadn't seen in a while.  I also love being out on the boat.  This time we got to ride jet skis.  It was the first time I'd driven jet skis and it was awesome.  I also decided to try my hand (or feet, rather) at wake boarding.  I was super nervous the first time.  And it took me about ten tries to finally get up on the water.  After trying and trying, I started to get discouraged, but the first time I got up on the water, even though I didn't stay up long, the feeling was incredible.  I had accomplished something I didn't think I could do.


Being at the lake allows me to go outside, usually after our Bible study on Saturday night, and think about the things that are going on in my life at the moment.  It's not always fun to process the different problems that are going on, but for me it's necessary. I went to sit down by the water and let the open air and open sky clear my head.  I didn't find any magical answers there, but it felt good just to have room to breathe and let out some stress.


Things I miss about Texas: Family, kolaches, Texas country music, my Sunday school class, open space, low humidity, wide roads, fast speed limits.


I've decided I'm a speed junkie.  There's no feeling close to the one where you're racing along at high speeds. It's exhilarating, thrilling, and takes my breath away.  I love the feeling, and it's the closest I can get to euphoria for now.  Too bad I don't get to experience it very often.  Perhaps someday though.


Wake boarding took a toll on my muscles so the drive back to MS was hard and long.  I'm still sore from doing it, but it was worth it.  It's good to be back in MS and start the school year.  My last year--wow. It's hard to believe.  College has flown by.  I'm not going to start on all the things I'll miss, because I have one more year left to enjoy them to the fullest.  I'll save that blog post for April 30, 2011.    

1 comment:

Mary said...

I'm glad you miss us.
Congrats on getting up on the wakeboard. I hear the boat driver was a pretty patient guy, and you were a persistent sportswoman.

Hmmm, I think you would enjoy driving a convertible. Drive mine sometime, and let me know what you think.

I'll miss you 'til I see you. Hug Becca for me.