Monday, August 10, 2009

An Incredible 48 hours

I just got off the phone with a friend who is in Nicaragua. How cool is that?! He went down there about a month ago and will be there for thirteen months. It was great to hear about what's happening down there. Maybe we'll get a trip together to go visit. That would be pretty sweet.

I had an awesome weekend. I had a date Friday night to the Cory Morrow concert in town. It was a good concert. Good music and I even got to dance a few songs. Found out that I can't dance worth a flip, but I think I just need more practice. I'll catch on eventually. (Warning: sarcasm) I'll just add it to the list of things I suck at.

After the concert we drove the two and a half hours to the lake. It was nice to have that time alone to talk and hang out. I'm gonna miss those times spent together, but I'm glad I have those memories to hang onto until we can make new ones.

The lake was incredibly low this time. In some places the normal watermark was twenty feet higher than where the water is now. It's kinda sad. But we were able to launch the boat a couple miles up the road and do our normal activities.

I don't normally do much other than ride in the boat and swim, but I decided to get on the tube. Two of us got on it, and as I was getting out of the boat I asked the driver not to throw me too hard. I'm a bit of a chicken when it comes to stuff like that. Anyway, we got on and took off. He was going easy on us, and the brilliant soul who was riding with me decides to let go of the handholds and get up on his knees. Usually this encourages the driver to nail it, which he did. The fearless one riding with me decided it might be better if he hung on again, but alas was too late and away he went. Usually when two people are tubing and one falls off, the other is not far behind. But not so! I managed to hang on. So we went back to pick him up and go a second round. The second was much like the first, but instead he almost stands up on the tube. This action elicited the same reaction as before, and he flipped over me and into the water. He ate it that time. It was hilarious, and I can only imagine what it looked like to the spectators in the boat. I didn't fall off this time either, but thought I might cause I was laughing so hard. Even my friend in the water was hysterical. Too funny.

That was only one instance of the great times we had. I was really glad I got to spend time with the group, certain people in particular. I've had the privilege of getting to know some pretty incredible people, and I'm going to miss them terribly. But I will be back, hopefully often, and can see everyone again. Until then I'll look forward to keeping in touch via the internet, phone-heck, carrier pigeons if I have to. Good friends are too rare to let something as trivial as a few miles take that friendship away.

No comments: