Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Be Present


I just watched a video that really got to me and convicted me.  You can watch it here.  It's a Periscope video from The Tag Team, a group that trains direct sellers on how to have effective and successful businesses.  Now, they talk about more than just business, but how, women especially, should live their life.  Check out this video here that talks about how we need to get rid of negative self talk and to tell ourselves the opposite of what we think: for example, I am beautiful, I am loved, etc. This particular scope was about how to find balance between family and work. Please watch these even if you aren't a direct seller or business owner, or a woman.  These are things that everyone needs to hear.

Anyway,  In the first video I referenced about how to balance work and family, Amanda talks about how she has believed before that she isn't a good mother.  So, she has committed to telling herself, "I am a good mom."  Rachel and Amanda (The creators of The Tag Team), have both committed to be present with their families in the evenings and on weekends instead of work taking over.  Amanda said how she asked her kids what they needed or what would make them feel more loved.  The answers differed, but basically boiled down to her actually spending quality time with them, to be present instead of just being in the same room and being on her phone.  She gets emotional in the video and really speaks honestly about the struggles that moms and wives face regarding being present.

This really hit home with me.  My husband and I have had several conversations about me being constantly on my phone.  It has actually been a problem with me for quite some time.  It has caused issues with my family in the past, and now with my husband.  I have tried to be better about being on my phone when we are spending time together, but it has become such a habit, it has been hard to break.  It is not that I don't enjoy spending time with him, I very much do! He is so fun to be around.  He is silly sometimes then other times we have amazing and deep conversation.  But this nasty habit has been hard to break, and I haven't tried as hard as I should to remedy it.  So, I've decided to delete the Facebook App on my phone.  The app makes it too easy to click on, and up pops my news feed.  I don't want to completely get rid of Facebook altogether, because of the few friends I keep in touch with, and my business page, but I have decided to only check it periodically at work.  If he is watching football or something, and I have time, I can check it on the computer at home.  Basically, I want it to be an intentional thing, not just habit.  I have also deleted the Pinterest App on my phone as well.  I can get caught up in the endless scrolling and waste time that way also.

So here it is, in black and white, plastered all over the internet that this is what I am going to do.  This is my accountability.  I am striving to be the best wife and friend and family member that I can be.  Not to mention to use my time more wisely than wasting it on social media.

Where do you stand on the phone issue?  Do you use yours too much?  Are you really present with your family?  Have you found a way to keep it in check?  I would love to hear from you!


2 comments:

Katsminis said...

I am so glad you are taking this step. It is so hard to have a conversation with someone that is always looking at their phone. I will accept this challenge with you and remove from my phone facebook also! We can hold each other accountable!

Mississippi Girl said...

Let's do it! Life is too short to live it with a screen in your face!