Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Return to Reading


As a child learning to read, I struggled.  I didn't like reading, and I especially didn't like sounding out words out loud and reading out loud. But through the continued example and encouragement of my mother, I eventually developed a love for reading.  Through my middle school years, all the way through college, I have read a lot.  Most of my voluntary reading has been fiction, mostly Christian fiction. I could go on and on about my favorite authors and series of books.  And if you want to know, please ask!

Since graduating college, I haven't read nearly as much as I used to.  I'm not sure entirely why.  It wasn't for lack of time, or because I couldn't find new books to read (there has always been a library nearby when I didn't have the money for new books).  I really can't pinpoint the reason.  But whatever the reason, I have started reading more, beginning this summer.  I moved jobs, from the banking industry to being in a secretarial/clerical position at the university.  I started my new job in April, and soon thereafter, summer had come and students had gone.  There wasn't much for me to do as far as busywork, just to be present to answer the phone, emails, and any questions from people stopping by the office.  Because of that, I had lots of dead time during my workday.  So, being low on funds, I picked up my Kindle (a graduation present from my parents) and searched for all the free fiction books I could find.  A lot of the free books from Amazon are good, but some aren't as good as my beloved, tried and true authors.  I also borrowed a book and found some oldies but goodies to re-read.

Lately, I have been following Crystal Paine over at Moneysavingmom.com.  I have discovered a new form of social media, Periscope.  It is a live streaming app that alerts you when people you follow are streaming live.  Crystal has been "scoping" every week day morning, and I try to hop on, or view the replay later (it is only available for 24 hours after they've gone live).  Crystal is an avid reader and posts reviews and recommendations.  The books she reads are different that my normal fiction books; most of them are self help/encouragement/how to.

It has occurred to me that other than my jobs, I haven't learned anything new in a long time.  I haven't taken time for self improvement.  Now, I have started taking classes to earn a master's degree, but as far as personal improvement, I haven't done anything.

Now, I won't abandon completely my fiction and classics. But I think if I add books to my reading lists about finances, social media, blogging, entrepreneurship, and spiritual and individual growth, that I will grow as a person.

I wish I had an unlimited Kindle book or Barnes and Noble budget, but since that is only a fantasy, I have reserved some books from the library on campus.  I find myself eagerly checking the website to see if they are available to pick up.

Here are the titles I have reserved:

Say Goodbye to Survival Mode by Crystal Paine

The Money Saving Mom's Budget by Crystal Paine

The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey

For the Love by Jen Hatmaker

Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell (I thought my husband, as well as myself would enjoy this one)

The Book Theif by Markus Zusack (This is a work of fiction, but the movie was so good, I had to read the book)


What is on your reading list?

4 comments:

diannanicole said...

Two things: one, the Starkville Public Library will let you check out books using your student ID. You don't have to have an actual library card. Usually it isn't crowded, either, because college kids don't read for-fun books. Two, see if the MSU or SPL libraries have an e-book rental. I know that the Tuscaloosa library has an online thing where you can "check out" e-books and it will send them to your Kindle for a week, and then return itself when time is up. So helpful! You don't even have to leave the house.

Mississippi Girl said...

Nice! I figured I'd try the MSU library first, since I'm on campus every day. But I imaging SPL will have a bit more possibly? I do need to see if they have an ebook option. While I like reading real books, it is much easier to carry several around with you if they are in digital form!

Are you reading anything right now?

diannanicole said...

Just finished "A Life Intercepted" by Charles Martin. It was good, set against a football background which is so appropriate for October! I'll probably read his newest, "Water From My Heart," next.

Mississippi Girl said...

I looked up A Life Intercepted and it looks good! Next library trip ;)