Thursday, December 31, 2015

Goals and My Word for 2016

New Year's is a time for reflection and for many, resolutions for the brand new year.  I have tried resolutions in the past, and usually they fall absolutely flat.  The reason I constantly failed at my resolutions is because it was one lofty goal without a plan to succeed.  

Instead of a resolution, this year I am choosing a word for 2016, and a list of specific, attainable goals for myself. 

It took me a little while to decide on a word for 2016.  I had in mind the idea I wanted to focus on, but I had to find the right word.  

I decided on "Purposeful."

Merriam-Webster defines purposeful as "having a clear aim or purpose; meaningful, intentional, full of determination." I love this.  So often I go through life without a clear aim.  Sure, there are things I want to accomplish, but more often than not, I go through my day without doing a thing to accomplish them.  I want my days to be working towards goals, dreams, and being the woman I am meant to be.  

I follow Mackenzie Monroe from Bold Turquoise on Periscope.  She has a morning show and a podcast called "Cultivating the Lovely." I love the tagline she has created: "Pour(ing) labor, care and study into making our lives more lovely.  It's all about pressing into the roles that God has given us and doing them to the best of our abilities, in His strength and guidance." I love the "labor, care, and study" part.  That's what I want to do.  To work and learn each day and be the wife, future mom, daughter, sister, friend, and woman that I am meant to be.

So, in order to cultivate lovely and learn to be who I am meant to be, these are the goals I have decided to work towards:

Health: 
I need to focus on being more healthy.  I have a chronic condition and several current health concerns that require me to strive to be healthier.

Hydration- Drink more water! I will drink 80-100 oz of water each day.  I have a 20 oz tumbler, so 1 before breakfast, 1 before lunch, 1 after lunch, 1 when I get home from work, and 1 after supper. 

Walking- Use my new treadmill to walk at least 1 hour per day, 5 to 6 times a week. I can also track my steps using my new FitBit that I got for Christmas! 

Get more sleep- I will strive for at least 8-9 hours of sleep per night.  I require more sleep that the average person to really feel my best.  

Nutrition- Shop for better quality food, cooker healthier meals, and eat better all around.  I will also be diligent about taking my vitamins and supplements every day. 

Marriage:

I really want to focus on growing in our marriage this year.  This will be year four for us!  I want to focusing on growing closer to each other. 

Dates- 2 date nights together each month.  Doesn't have to be something big, just something we purposefully plan ahead of time and do together.

Knowledge- Read at least 4 marriage books this year. 

Phone-  Put down my phone when I come home from work.  I won't look at social media or spend time browsing.  I will answer texts and calls, but that's it!

Personal:

I really want to be able to pour into other's lives, so it's important that I continually fill myself up.

Reading- Read at least 1 book per month.  I have already started my list and will post about it soon! This weekend: Full Disclosure by Dee Henderson.

Podcasts and Periscope- Listen to the two podcasts and 5 Periscopers that I follow at slow times during the day.  They really fill me up and help me grow!

Crocheting- Keep practicing!

Sewing- Learn to use the quilting machine, sew stockings and a tree skirt before next Christmas.

Business/Work:

Premier- Post consistently on my Facebook business page.  Host sales and specials each month. 

Embroidery- Work on doing more samples and posting more to the Facebook business page.

Work- Keep learning new tasks and roles.


That's it for now.  I also plan to update these during the year, including monthly breakdowns. I would love to talk to you about my goals, and about yours too!  If you would be interested in an accountability group, please let me know!

So, Happy New Year from this Southern Girl, to you and yours!

No comments: