Monday, August 18, 2008

I'm a Sophomore!


Today was the first day of my sophomore year.

Last night, I gathered all my books, picked out my outfit, and set my alarm. All day yesterday I wasn't very excited about starting classes. I'm sure why exactly-maybe it was the fact I'm getting sick, and being sick the first week of classes really bites, or mabe that I was still hanging on to that last thread of summer. Reguardless, I took some meds, stettled down for the night, and after a wonderful phone call, fell asleep.

My alarm went off at 7:30 this morning, and of course I promptly turned it off and went back to sleep. My sister called a little after 7:30, but after I got off the phone, I still managed to catch a few more moments of sleep before that final "GET UP!" of my second alarm. I rolled out of bed at 8:08 and proceeded about my morning routine. Before long, I was ready to leave for campus. Wearing my favorite pair of jeans and encouraged by a voicemail, I drove the 20 minutes to campus.

When I got there, parking was nuts! There were absolutley no parking spots in the lot that I'm supposed to park in (thanks to those lovely people who were parked illegally), so I had to park in the grass across the street. I made it to my first class early, and waited in the hall for the instructor to open the door. I really like my prof for small group communication. She's really nice, and funny too. I had her for speech last year. I think I'm going to like that class, even though it might put me outside of my comfort zone at times. I'm pretty shy around people I don't know well.

My next class was trig. Math isn't my favorite subject, but I think this prof will be good. She explains things well, and teaches at a pace that I can easily keep up with. I have several friends taking trig too (not in the same class) so I can always get help if I need it.

After trig, I had a two hour break before Spanish II. I went to the Student Union to get some lunch. I'm determined not to eat out every day for lunch, but today I made an exception, because I was really craving some Chick-Fil-A. :) The food court was so crowded! I finally got some lunch and took it outside to eat in the sunshine. It was a gorgeous day, a little hot, but not bad. I spent the rest of my break in the library reading, and making a stop by the post office.

Spanish II was good as well. There were several people from my Spanish I class, so that was nice. My prof went over the syllabus and did some review of concepts we should know from Spanish I.

After class, I headed to my car, but got a message from a friend. He wanted to meet back at the Union. I made the trek across the Drill Field again, and met him inside the Union. We spent some time talking, and catching up on things that happened over the summer. It was pretty good. A little awkward, but so much in life is, so it was ok. It was nice to get that first meeting over with. Now maybe it will be better.

Back to my car I went, and headed off campus. I started feeling bad again, so I decided that there was only one thing that would help...Bluebell ice cream of course! I stopped at Piggly Wiggly and grabbed three pints of that heavenly dessert. Now, don't think I'm going to eat all that by myself...I'll let my two siblings share a pint. :)

Well, my first day back on campus was better than I thought it would be. I really did miss State. I made some awesome friends and memories on that campus last year, and I think this year will be no exception. I did see familiar faces as I walked from class to class, which was very nice. That didn't happen on my first day last year. So I'd say being a sophomore is better than being a freshman. At least in my opinion. :) This first week is hopefully going to turn out well.

No comments: