Friday, August 15, 2008

Summer Highlights

Ok, I can't let the summer go just yet, especially since there's nothing going on at the moment to write about. I'll live in the past just a bit longer before moving on. :) So here are some highlights (complete with pictures) from my summer.

One of the first new and exciting things was a filly that was born at the beginning of the summer. She's a cute and spirited little thing. She's my sister's filly, and she finally has a name now: Kia. I had to work with her in the few weeks after she was born because Rebecca was in Mississippi taking summer classes. Now let me tell you, I am not a horse person. I love them, but I'm pretty clueless when it comes to training them. However, I did manage to get across to her that kicking and biting were not good things to do. She's much better about it now.

Another new thing I tried this summer was decorating cakes. My first few attempts were pretty pitiful, but tasty if I do say so myself. I really want to learn to do this well, and you know what they say, "Practice makes perfect." How cool would it be to know how to decorate wedding cakes? And the money's good too. :)


A friend from Mississippi came to visit me in June, so I decided to show him a taste of Texas (as well as a Mississippi Girl can). We went to San Antonio to visit, of course, the Alamo, and also the River Walk. San Antonio is probably one of my favorite big cities in Texas. It's such a neat place full of history and gorgeous architecture. We ate at the Alamo Cafe, which has awesome scenery, and some of the best Tex-Mex around, in my opinion. Continuing our incredibly brief tour of Texas, we visited Texas A&M University in College Station, Tx. (Aggies, insert whoop here.) I had been to the campus a number of times before, but hadn't really walked around much. We drove and walked around only a part of campus (which is huge) and took pictures. I got a few good ones, but not as many as I would have liked. I really like A&M's campus. It's different that State's, but pretty none the less. I really enjoy going to different Universities to see all the differences and similarities between them. I haven't been to as many as I'd like, but I'm working on that. So far I have Mississippi State, Texas A&M, University of Alabama, and Auburn under my belt. I'm planning to go to as many away football games this fall as I can. Hopefully, I'll be adding Louisiana Tech, Georgia Tech, and Ole Miss to the list.

Other amazing times I had this summer centered around the college and career Sunday school class at Church. Mary and Butch are so awesome!
We have so much fun doing stuff together. Whether it's at the property, at Bible study, at the Lake, or Sonic even, we always have a good time together. I've had the opportunity to meet and get to know some of the greatest people there. Erich, Bonnie, Jonathan, Adam, Katrina, Lindsay...the list goes on. (If I didn't mention your name don't hate me!) We've had several fellowships (aka Let's Hang Out!!) this summer. We go out to the property and ride the 4-wheeler, jeep, and anything else with a motor. We also mess with the horses and dogs there. Lots of great conversations are struck up, especially after dark, when we are sitting at the picnic table or around a fire. Other times we watch movies and play games together. Cranium is a particular favorite. :) Fun stuff.
Probably the most anticipated events of the summer for the class (or at least for me) are the lake trips. We take three or four days over a weekend to all come together and stay in a cabin by the lake. We get to go out in the boat and tube, ski, wake board, and knee board. And for those of us non-athlete types, swim and ride in the boat. I absolutely love being out on the water. It's so peaceful (and you get an amazing tan!). The time spent with each other is worth more to me than anything else I do during the summer. Mary prepares a Bible study for us on Saturday night, and it always gives me a different perspective and lots to think about. After Bible study, I like to walk out to the edge of the water and sit and think about everything going on in my life at the time. I just soak it all in-the nighttime, the water, the stars, the absolute greatness of my God. It is truly amazing. Another thing I like about the lake trips is going to the waterfalls. I love swimming and climbing on the rocks. I even jumped off a cliff one year! Awesomeness. This year, a group of us went to a near-by cavern. It was so neat! I wish everyone had gone with us. Maybe next year. The group that went was great though. Some were new to the group, and some have been around for a while. I will remember these trips for years to come!
And just when you thought I was done...wait! There's more! :)

All the time that I have lived in Texas, in that very county, there were awesome places that I didn't even know about! So...my friend Erich made it his mission to take me to some of these places. The first place I went was the fairgrounds. I was invited to a Wade Bowen concert. It was my first-ever country music concert. I really enjoyed it. But some of my best memories came from the dances at Round Up Hall. The bands were great and the dancing was even better! It was so much fun, I can't even tell you how much I enjoyed it, nor how much I miss it already!
He also took me to see two of the painted churches. They are so beautiful! I've never seen anything quite like them. Just down the road from one of the churches is Piano Bridge. That was one of my favorite things to see. It's an old iron bridge built in the 1800s. Supposedly there are all sorts of ghost stories associated with the bridge. Erich didn't tell them to me, but I suppose that's for the better because the first time we drove over the bridge was at night... (Just kidding. Ghost stories don't scare me). I think that Piano bridge is part of almost a hidden history in Texas. Everyone knows about the Alamo, but not everyone knows about neat things like this. I find it all quite fascinating.

So that's a brief recap of my summer! :)

No comments: