Thursday, August 14, 2008

Goodbye Summer

This past summer can be described in one word-bittersweet. I have had some of the best times of my life, but also some of the hardest. I began the summer with a long-I repeat LONG-drive to Texas. I had a hard night the night before, not getting to sleep until 4am, and that made the 11 hour trek that much worse. However, I made it with the help of great music, phone conversations, and lots and lots of caffeine. I had mixed feelings about moving back home for the summer. I loved Starkville and didn't want to leave my life-and all those in it-behind. I knew it would be a tough summer, just adjusting to living at home again, and having my first "real job." I was definitely ready to see my family and friends from back home though. I really had no expectations of what would come, but it wound up being much more that I ever imagined.

I began my job on May 19. I was really excited about being a part of Americorps, and working in the community. I won't expound on this too much, but it was definitely rewarding, complicated, and challenging all in one. I was able to work with kids at the elementary school and the Boys and Girls Club, elderly at the nursing home playing bingo, and other members of the community. It was definitely an eye opening opportunity. I am more aware of the needs of people around me and better equipped to do something about those needs. And God also helped me learn a heap of patience along the way.

Being back home was good. I missed my family terribly over the past year. I wasn't able to see everyone as much as I wanted, and it can get lonely when you are living by yourself. The time spent with my family was so special to me. On the other hand, there will always be challenges when family is concerned. It's tough growing up, and this summer was definitely a huge step for me in that department. I'm still in the process of learning to balance everything in my life. Especially my time--time for me, time with other people, and most importantly, time with God. If I had to grade myself on my time management this summer, I'd give myself an F! However, I have learned so much, and will try harder in the future.

As far as relationships go this summer, it's been a roller coaster ride. All the ups and downs that I could ever imagine. I was not ready for what happened this summer, but that's how life goes. You just have to roll with the punches. Some relationships flourished, some floundered, and some were drastically changed. All of this gave me different perspective about the relationships in my life. It made me realize how very important the people in my life are. Whether they are new relationships, full of excitement and fun, or old ones that give me stability and accountability, all are important and all take work. Relationships with people do not flourish automatically. It takes work.

I was so blessed this summer to experience new things and to grow closer to some really awesome people. I learned to country western dance-all thanks to Erich who was mercifully patient with me and my clumsy feet! It was amazing, and something I hope to enjoy as long as I am able. I spent two awesome weekends on the lake with my college and career Sunday school class. Mary and Butch are a blessing from God in my life. God has placed them right where they are to reach and teach so many of us. Thanks again for everything the two of you do for us college kids!

I have come to a very important conclusion this summer. Those of you who know me well, and who knew me before the fabled move to Texas as a 14-year-old, will understand the gravity of this epiphany. Texas isn't as bad as I thought it to be. Yes, Texas has actually grown on me. I can hardily believe it either-but tis true. I can't exactly put my finger on what changed my perspective. I'm sure it was a combination of events and people. I can tell you that a change in perspective occurred. I realized that God placed me in Texas for a reason. I have grown and learned so much that I would not be who I am today without it. I have met some AMAZING people in Texas (even if they think they live in the best state). :) I will cherish those relationships forever! I will always have a reason to come back to Texas. I couldn't bear the thought of never seeing the people I've come to know and love.

Leaving Texas today was really difficult for me. More than I expected. I shed a few tears as the miles passed. I replayed in my mind the precious memories that I have of this summer. I listened to songs that reminded me of people and places that are dear to me. One of those songs says "I left a part of me in Texas, and I think It's gonna stay there for a while, but someday I'm going back there, to see those special things that made me smile." That's truly how I felt as I crossed the Sabine River, and left Texas in my rear view mirror.

So ends the bittersweet summer of '08, and begins the fantabulous year of '08-'09.

1 comment:

All Your Cleaning said...

You are amazing! Love IT! I am also the first person to post a comment - how fitting!

I miss you much!!

Erich