Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Rainy Day

Rain, rain, rain... I'm about sick of rain. It's almost a strange phenomenon to me, having been in Texas all summer where there was a drought. It's like, "What is this strange wet stuff that keeps falling out of the sky?" I really can't complain though, because it keeps the temperature cool (-er that is). It's not so fun walking between classes and getting soaked, but oh well.

I have decided to make a goal for myself. I'm not goal-driven individual per say, nor am I one of those people who plows ahead with something they've set their mind to, but I think it's important for everyone to have goals and ambitions. I have plenty of ambition (even though people might not know it), but I think setting some goals will help me reach those ambitions. So on to the goal. I have decided to start running. My goal is to be able to run a mile by the beginning of the year. This might not seem like a huge deal to some people, but if you know me well at all, it would be an accomplishment. Running is something I really enjoy. I love the rythm, the beat, the movement. It's also something that I haven't been able to do much of in the past. But I'll overcome those limitations. I'm tired of not doing something because I've told myself (and others have told me) that I can't do. So I'm going to do it.

I am sick and tired of feeling out of control of my life. I'm tired of circumstances controlling me. I'm tired of worring about the things I cannot change. I'm tired of being weak. I'm tired of being the person who has to work with other people, who can't accomplish anything on her own. I need to get some backbone when it comes to dealing with people, and not let everyone push me around. I have noticed lately that the people I'm around influence me greatly. Most of the time that's a good thing, especially if you're around some amazing people. But what about me? Should I not be influencing people (for the better) as well? I want the good things about me, the interesting things, the things I love to do-to stand out, and for people to take notice. I've come to the point where I'm going to let go of the things in my life that I cannot control (as much as I'd like to control them) and I'm going to give them to the One who has ultimate control. And the things in my life I can control (but don't) are going to change. I'm going to change them.

On another note, Labor Day weekend was this past weekend. Me and My sister made the 11 hour trek home on Friday. We took a different route that normal, but that turned out pretty well. We spend a great weekend home, got to see my Dad, along with the rest of my family. It was so good to be home again. Especially after being homesick the past week or two. Well, when time came to plan on heading back, matters were complicated by Gustav. Hurricane Gustav (or "Goo-stove" as I heard it pronounced on the radio as we drove through Arkansas). Because of the hurricane making landfall the very same day we needed to drive back, we took an alternate route, furthur north, through Arkansas. Well, following a road that did some really squirrly things when you came to a town, we naturally missed a roadsign, and wound up two counties north of where we should have been, on a totally different highway. Can you say frustrated? Well, that's what we were. So we dug out the map, and found a tintsy wintsy road that would take us back to the highway. Little did we know that it would take us through po-dunk Arkansas. I just knew that we would be abducted by some hillbilly named Bubba... It was pretty comical actually, me and my sister making jokes about Gustav and Bubba out to get us. And the sceanery wasn't half bad either. It was a very agricultural part of Arkansas, where there were huge fields of any kind of crop you could imagine, and the small farmhouses to go with them. We got pictures. I'll post some of those on here later, so you'll get a better appreciation of how far off the beaten path we really were. Well, to make a long story short, we got back to the highway, and sucessfully made it to our destination. It took us a grand total of 15 hours, and we didn't get home until midnight. That made for a very, Very, VERY long day. I do not wish to repeat that particular journey again, so I'll just document it here for your enjoyment/amusement.

Well, I must be off to Spanish now. Adios Amigos. Hasta luego.









































No comments: