Sunday, November 15, 2015

30 Days of Thankfulness: Day 15



"The summer is winding down.  Two weeks from today I will be on my way back to Mississippi.  It's always a very bittersweet thing for me.  I live in two places.  I go to school in Mississippi- most of my friends are there, and it's where I feel most comfortable right now. But my family is in Texas- I miss them so much and I feel like I should be home.  I have lived in Texas every summer in college.  Each time I finish the semester and head back, I'm always looking forward to summer, but missing everything back in MS.  And when I leave for school in the fall, I'm ready to go back, but miss everything I have in TX.  It's just not fun.  Hopefully one day I will live in one spot.  I realize that people I love will be scattered- that's just a fact of life.  But I'm ready to have my home in one place- a place where I feel most comfortable and happy.  I have no idea where that is right now, but I'll find it soon enough."

I found that exert on the drafts section of all my blog posts.  It was never published, but I wanted to share it now.  This was probably 5 or 6 years ago.  I was still in college, only a little ways from graduating.  The reason I wanted to share this on my 30 Days of Thankfulness series is because I am so very thankful for my home now.

"Home is wherever I am with you."  I love this quote so much.  It aptly describes what home is for me now.  My home while I was growing up changed periodically.  During college, I felt I had two homes- one in Texas where my family was, another in Mississippi where I had grown up and cultivated friendships.

My home is in one place now, where I do feel most comfortable and very happy, but I think there will always be two homes for me.  One is wherever my husband is.  We spend three months apart last fall, transitioning to Starkville for him to go back to school.  I felt so disjointed.  Like I wasn't settled, and it was because he wasn't with me.

The other home I have is where my parents are.  Thankfully, they are back in Mississippi and only live 30 minutes from me.  That has been such a blessing!  I love that I can drive over for a visit whenever I want, and we can spend holidays together now.  They have bought a beautiful place with an 1860's farmhouse and lots of land.  I love being there; it's so peaceful and pretty.  But it's not the house they bought that makes it home.  It is the fact that is where my family is.  I will always feel like I'm home when I'm with my family.

I am so thankful for home.

Day 1 and 2
Day 3
Day 4
Day 5 and 6
Day 7 and 8
Day 9 and 10
Day 11
Day 12
Day 13
Day 14

No comments: